Friday, September 12, 2008

Empty

John 2: 1-11

The story of Jesus' first miracle, changing water into wine at a wedding.

Two things strike me.

First, Jesus says it isn't his time.

I'm curious why it was not and even more curious why he chose to help out anyway.

In fact, that's my first application from this passage. Jesus stepped out of his schedule to help this family. How many times do I push some one or some good thing away because I don't have time? Following Jesus' example will encourage me to stop and think about whether I'm in charge of my time or He is. Stepping out of my schedule will certainly take me on a different path than the one I've laid out, but God knows where I'm headed better than I do.

Second, the water jars.
After studying this passage over time, I realize I'm like the jars. Often empty, sometimes filled with water. Too often I'm empty when I should be filled with rich, expensive wine--a metaphor for the Spirit, perhaps?

I want to be filled with the best. How about you?

No comments: